Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Day 13: Shrimp

It's actually quite surprising to me that with all of my food issues, I am not allergic to shellfish or seafood of any kind. I really don't care for the fishy tasting critters, but at least they won't kill me or make me wish I'm dead!

I went to a Tex Mex restaurant with my cousin a few months ago. After some confusion (and a not-so-quick jaunt to the manager's office's printer), the server gave me a gluten-free list of foods. Of course, almost nothing was garlic-free. All of the meat was marinated with garlic. All the rice & sides had either garlic or flour. And the non-garlic or gluten items were beans. (This was my own fault for agreeing to eat at this genre of restaurant, but I digress.)

So there's nothing to eat on the menu, but their staff was dedicated to getting me food. (I wish I could remember which restaurant it was.) They finally came up with shrimp. Their shrimp is not marinated already so fajitas could be made with oil and no spicing. Corn tortillas rounded out the hard-earned feast.

It was great and a triumph for the staff as well as me.

Next on my restaurant-shrimp visiting list: Romano's Macaroni Grill so I can try their "Jumbo Shrimp Spiedini." Has anyone tried it yet?

2 comments:

  1. Nope, but I LOVE Macaroni Grill. :) Let me know how it is.

    By the way, your almost-everything-free diet is intriguing (I'm sure you would use a different word) to me as a chef. Do you have an actual "I can't eat this list" you could send me? I'd love to see if me and Pat could come up with something yummy for you to eat. :)

    Jennie :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do have a "I Can't Eat This" list, but it keeps getting items added to it! :-)

    I'll update it and send it over. I'd love yummy suggestions for katie-friendly meals!

    ReplyDelete