Monday, September 14, 2009

Day 12: Tapioca

I have a box of tapioca starch in my cupboard. However, in beginning this entry, I realized I had no earthly idea what tapioca actually was or where it comes from. So off to the internet I went!

Much like canola oil does not come from a canola (it comes from rapeseed), I hypothesized that tapioca may not come from a tapioca plant, mostly just because I'd never heard of one. I was right! (for once...) Tapioca is a starch that comes from the root of the cassava plant aka yuca (one 'c') plant aka manioc. It's native to South America.

It takes a lot of processing to get to the tapioca. The root itself contains cyanide toxins and you really don't want to be eating that in your pudding!

Speaking of which, I've never had tapioca pudding. Some people rave about it. Others never mention it. I'm going to try to make it.

I've decided to create a version that does not have the 1/3 or 1/2 cup of refined sugar in it. I don't know whether the coconut milk will compensate enough. However, I feel like it's worth it, because if I could make an edible sugar-free dessert-like object, I would be very happy! I'll post the recipe if it works...

No comments:

Post a Comment