Tuesday, January 4, 2011

SUPERGRAIN!!! (aka Quinoa)

It's a bird. It's a plane. It's SUPERGRAIN!!!
image by Kurt Stueber



Quinoa is weird. So am I. I like quinoa.

I blogged a bit about quinoa (keen-wah) in this 30 Days entry. But it keeps popping up in my life.

Today there was an article on Yahoo! News about "Quinoa's popularity boon to Bolivians." Not surprisingly, the more "First World foodies" (as the article calls us) consume quinoa, the more rural farmers can make off of it. Which, of course, gives way to concerns about over-farming and the crushing of small sustainable farmers by big commercial/government operations. Sigh. Sometimes, no good deed goes unpunished.

But for me, quinoa is great because it's overly healthy (10 essential amino acids and 14%-18% protein content) AND GLUTEN-FREE!

image by Blairingmedia

I bought a bag of red quinoa on impulse a few weeks ago because of all of the good hype. My nutrionist had given me a crockpot recipe that had "an approved grain" as one of the ingredients. So I used the red quinoa. It's great! Really filling and it was a very easy 'make'.

  • Herbed Chicken & Quinoa Crockpot fun

No comments:

Post a Comment