Saturday, November 27, 2010

RECIPE: Gluten-Free Banana Bread

I'm going to call this recipe "Going Bananas Bread (Gluten-free)". I am quite sure I'm not the first person to cleverly think of this title, but since it fits, I'm going with it.

The need for this recipe was triggered when I had five VERY ripe bananas on my table and a potluck karaoke party on my calendar. I found a plethora of recipes for banana bread and even a few gluten-free options. But there wasn't a single recipe that had all the elements I wanted (or didn't want). So a combination was born!

The main or base recipe I used was this "Banana Banana Bread Recipe" from AllRecipes.com:
http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Banana-Banana-Bread/Detail.aspx.

GOING BANANAS BREAD (Gluten-Free)

Ingredients

  • 2 cups all-purpose gluten-free flour (I used Arrowhead Mills GF Pancake & Baking Mix*)

  • 1 tsp baking soda

  • 1/4 teaspoon salt

  • 3 tsp egg replacer (dry part of 2 “eggs”)

  • 1 tsp ground cinnamon

  • 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg

  • 1/2 cup butter

  • 3/4 cup brown sugar

  • 4 Tbsp warm water (wet part of 2 “eggs”)

  • 4 to 5 overripe bananas, mashed about 2 cups-ish

  • 1 tsp GF vanilla or GF vanilla extract

Directions

  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease a 9x5 inch loaf pan.

  2. In a large bowl, combine dry ingredients: flour, baking soda, salt, egg replacer, cinnamon, and nutmeg.

  3. In a separate bowl, cream together butter and brown sugar.

  4. Stir in water, mashed bananas, and vanilla until well blended.

  5. Blend banana mixture into flour mixture; stir just to moisten. Pour batter into prepared loaf pan.

  6. Bake in preheated oven for 55 to 60 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into center of the loaf comes out clean. (For me, it took about 56 minutes.)

  7. Let bread cool in pan for 10 minutes, then turn out onto a wire rack.

* The ingredients for the baking mix are (copied from the bag):
Organic white rice flour, organic potato flour, tapioca starch, baking powder (monocalcium phosphate, sodium bicarbonate, corn starch), organic whole grain yellow corn flour, natural flavor (?huh?), sea salt, organic cinnamon.


A wonderful side effect of this bread - it smelled absolutely wonderful and filled the entire first floor of our house with yummy-smelling goodness. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment