Monday, February 1, 2010

Low Iodine Diet to add to the mix

In September 2008, I was diagnosed with thyroid cancer and had my thyroid removed. Luckily, we caught it incredibly early in the process. Because of that, I take replacement hormones each morning and have a very nice-looking scar, but otherwise it's not on the forefront of mind usually.

However, as part of the process, I have to go through a series of scans/tests and some radioactive iodine annually for the first three years. February 2010 is my thyroid month this year.

Starting tomorrow, I will be on a low iodine diet. The last week of the month, I will do lots of scans & tests...and become radioactive. I'll be given a low dose of radioactive iodine. The low iodine diet is to limit my body's iodine level so that it uptakes the radioactive version wholeheartedly come Feb.24th. If there are any remaining cancer cells, the radioactivity will pool there and show up on the subsequent scans. Here's hopin' for nothing on the scans!

I don't really diet any more dietary restrictions, but the advantage of this diet is (at least, psychologically) that I don't have to stay on it. It's only for a few weeks. We can do anything for only a few weeks, right? So here I go!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment